Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Music and a Women's Retreat











There are two events that I have failed to mention, but have been important in momma's life this month. The first was November 1, 2008 when nine (plus) string musicians played music during service that Cheri Gillard and I had arranged and written parts for (especially the musical worship songs). It was a process that started in August and came to fruition so beautifully that Sunday morning. One of the highlights was the moment after the last song, Here in Your Presence, when I started to fiddle (no pun intended) with my music and looked beyond my music stand. Everyone was standing in silence with their eyes closed. I realized that we were all experiencing a holy moment and I was in awe. A shout out to Cheri for her hard work and dedication to trying to compose with a 16 month old trying to grab the music and the instruments!


The second event, took place a week later at the La Foret Retreat Center in Black Forest, CO for our church's women's retreat. It was a powerful weekend, connecting with old and new friends in such a beautiful peaceful setting only 15 minutes from our home! I enjoyed helping in leading the musical worship time, although it was hard to keep track of all the instruments I had with me. At one point I had a guitar on, a violin in my hand and a penny whistle waiting for me on the stand. I kind of felt like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. The most powerful moment for me was the evening after having a yoga session and an upper body massage, that I just played my violin alone in the lodge. I have not done that in a very long time and it moved my soul in a deep way. Did I mention the cabins had bathrooms in them? I can't wait until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment